About Me

Thursday 5 May 2016

Reader Survey Results: What You Want to Learn


The numbers are in, and I'm so excited! As far as I’m concerned, a reader survey is the best way to get real, useful, concrete data on the people I want to serve best: you.



I want to share the results with you, along with how I plan to use the feedback to meet your needs and exceed your expectations in the coming year.




What the Numbers Say

  • My typical reader is female (83%), between the ages of 50-59 (42%), with the next largest group being between 30-39 (25%).

  • My readers tend to have at least a college degree or professional certification (83%) and identify themselves as low to middle income (75%), with 33% of readers indicating they have challenges providing the basic necessities for their families.

  • My readers' area of highest interest is evenly split between when I discuss needs (42%), acknowledgements (42%),  and beating yourself up (42%).

  • The biggest challenge my readers face is not having enough money (38%), clarity (38%) or knowledge (23%) to accomplish what they want. These key challenges tie back to their main interests.

If you are a survey geek and want to see the specific responses to each question, including reader comments, you may do so by clicking here. All the responses are anonymous; I can’t tell how any one person voted.

What I’m Taking Away from the Numbers

So what do I think of all this? Based on your feedback, I have come to three conclusions about things I want to keep doing.
  1. Keep focusing my content on your needs. Three of my four biggest categories, needs, acknowledgements and beating yourself up tie back directly to two of the biggest challenges you’re facing: the lack of knowledge and clarity to ask for and accomplish what you want. By staying focused on these areas, I’m confident I’ll be able to help close the gap for you in the coming year.
  2. Keep things practical. Expanding on point No. 1, I will stick with providing clarity, practical answers and processes. This survey is a good reminder that breaking things down with step-by-step instructions and descriptions removes mystery and provides motivation to make it happen.
  3. Keep being inclusive. Given the diversity of my audience, it’s imperative that I avoid making anyone feel excluded. I intend to be even more mindful of the fact that I am writing for an audience that includes different age groups, and one who may at times face financial challenges. I also want to do a better job serving my male readers.
If you participated in the survey, thank you for taking the time to do it. It’s the most important window I have into what concerns and motivates you. I consider it a gift. Most of all, thank you for entrusting me with your time and attention.
QuestionWhat additional insights do you see from the survey? Please leave a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment