About Me

Thursday 18 August 2016

The Power of Procrastination


Some of us procrastinate more than others. For example, I set aside time to write this post much earlier today.  It's now 10 hours past that time, and I'm finally starting.  Many, many articles have been written about why we procrastinate and how to stop procrastinating.  But what if procrastinating is good for us?  What if maybe, just maybe, procrastination is a gift we give to ourselves?  A gateway to a proactive behavior instead of a self-defeating one?

On a recent Facebook Live with Rhonda Britten, she challenged participants to look at procrastination as an opportunity to learn and grow.  Instead of beating ourselves up over our lack of action, she advised us to ask ourselves these three questions when we find ourselves procrastinating:

1.  What is it I am missing to be able to move forward and take action in this situation?

2.  What information do I need?

3.  What is the thing I am waiting for to happen?

Wow, what a shift in energy!  Asking these questions will put me (and you!) in a totally different space.  First, we receive permission to slow down and reevaluate.  Second, we gain insight into our needs.  Third, we are then in a position to create an intention based upon our reflections. 

Let's use my procrastination over this post as an example.  When I thought about what I needed to be able to move forward, I realized I was waiting for inspiration.  What should I write about today?  Since no ideas were coming to me, where might I find the inspiration I was seeking?  

I thought about many things that had happened in the past week.  Next, things that I had noted as possible blog post subjects and had not yet used.  Things I wished to expand upon.  Things I wished to research.  Things that had made an impact on me.  As I did this, I was filled with ideas and inspiration.  What to write about became a decision, and wanting to write this post shifted from "should" to "choice".

How, then, is procrastination an opportunity to learn and grow?  It allows us to get clear about our needs.  It shows us where we're stuck, and gives us tools to move forward.  It gives us the opportunity to clarify, then act on, our commitments. And procrastination gives us permission to turn should into choice, by helping us to create an intention that supports us.  That we are willing to practice.  

Wow.  Just wow.

Question:  Think about one area where you've been procrastinating. After asking yourself the 3 questions above, what is one intention you are willing to set for yourself?



No comments:

Post a Comment