About Me

Wednesday 9 December 2015

How to Free Yourself from the Disempowering Effect of Goals


A 2012 study by leadershipiq that looked at 4,182 workers from 397 organizations came to the conclusion that goals are not particularly helpful.  My personal experience confirms that.  Fortunately, Fearless Living gives us a new way to move forward.  By creating intention statements, rather than goals, willingness and choice overtake should and guilt.  Compassion takes center stage, and self- punishment is lessened, or perhaps eliminated altogether.  Sound good?  Read on.




When I worked in the corporate world, the company advocated an annual goal planning retreat.  Each December, my management team and I spent a day outside the office planning our goals for the next year.  We worked hard to get the wording exactly right.  Specific. Measurable. Attainable. Realistic. Time-oriented goals.  For the next year, we diligently filed monthly progress reports.  My managers reported their progress to me.  I reported our facility progress to our corporate head office.  The regional manager included a goals analysis on each quarterly visit.  

Thinking that the corporation management must be onto something, I created personal goals as well.  I struggled for hours over the wording.  Was this something I should be doing in the next year?  Was I capable of achieving the goal?  How many times?  When?    It wasn't long before I began to look at the calendar with dread.  I'd have to look at those goals again.  I'd better hurry up and do whatever it was I'd set for myself.  Even if it no longer served me to take that action, by golly, I'd better do it anyway.  It was in writing, after all.

How burdensome!  How disempowering!  What a recipe for beating myself up!  Even if I achieved my goals, there were always others lurking.  They smirked at me, written on the page in my own handwriting.  Does this sound familiar?

Replacing goals with intentions embraces the elements of choice and willingness. The quest for perfection is set aside in favor of forward movement. Here's how to create intentions that will motivate you, empower you, and resonate with what you know to be true. 

1.  State your commitments

What is it you are committed to?  If you're stuck, look to your values.  What qualities do you value most?  Common values include independence, efficiency, cooperation, belonging, freedom, security, honesty, and inner harmony.  You may come up with more.

2.  Define your comfort zone

What does a snapshot of your life look like in light of your values?  What are the areas in which you'd like to take a step outside that zone?  Consider things you know you can do, yet haven't done yet.  Also look at things you really want to do, yet you're not sure whether or not you're brave enough.  Perhaps even look at things you want to do, and don't think you ever could.

3.  Have another look at your values

Think of ways your values will support you in taking steps outside your comfort zone to do one or more of those things.  Creating intentions that align with your values will help bolster your confidence.  Determine one action you'd like to take, based on your values and commitments. 

4.  Determine your willingness

How willing are you to take one of more of those steps?  Rate your willingness on a 1-10 scale with 1 being, you're not interested in following through, and 10 being 100% committed.  Hint: it's okay not to have 100% commitment.  You're looking for movement forward, not perfection.  If your commitment level is at the lower end of the scale, though, you might want to revisit steps 1-3 and make changes. 

5.  Create your intention statement in line with what you have discovered.  

Have you determined the area in which you're willing to practice moving out of your comfort zone?  Great!  Create an intention statement for yourself, starting with, "I am willing to practice..." Complete the sentence with what it is you are willing to do, and when. Empower yourself by focusing on what you are choosing to do, rather than what you think you should do.  What will serve your values, and help you to feel good about yourself?  You may choose to create one intention statement, or several.  Your intention may be as broad as, "I am willing to practice compassion for myself on an ongoing basis," or as narrow as, "I am willing to practice exercising on my stationary bike for 10 minutes 1 time in the next 7 days."  

Important Note

Remember, your intention supports your choices based upon your commitment and your values.  Intention statements created through willingness and choice are empowering.  Use the word practice to release the need for perfection.  Celebrate your mindfulness.   An insight, or even a thought, directed toward your intention is movement forward, and worthy of note. No beating yourself up!  

Question:  Do intention statements feel more motivating than goals?  What is one intention statement you are willing to create for yourself?

1 comment:

  1. This is perfect timing as I am working reviewing my commitments set at the beginning of 2015, what I accomplished this year and what commitments I will keep or change and any new ones I might add for 2016.

    ReplyDelete